Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Has Anyone Seen My 20s? (Part 2)

Continuing with my whining about getting older and the surprises that come with it, I seem to remember my knees being placed in the middle of my legs for the first twenty or thirty years of my life.

But now when I look in the mirror, something's not quite right.  My knees appear to be creeping closer and closer to my shins.  I'm not sure my shins are okay with this.  My ego, to be certain, is not.

And what's with the random appearance of a very fine, almost translucent (but not quite), wispy hair that comes out of the side of my neck?  One day, it's not there.  The next day, when I find it, I realize that I could pull it back and have it join my ponytail.  And why did NO ONE ever tell me to watch out for this?  

Several years ago I noticed a strange sensation whenever I lifted my arm(s) to wave at someone.  My waving hand suddenly had a friend in the loose skin of my upper arms waving right along with it.  I swear, I sat down and wept right there in the driveway.

My grandmother had loose skin.  I'd even noticed my mother's when her toned arms started to give a little.  But to see it (and feel it) on my own arms was just too much to cope with.  It's like having my own little set of batwings.  I was sure this wasn't going to hit me for several more years.  I'm a later-in-life mom, so I was still picking up a baby/toddler when I noticed the wings.  I was just sure as the sun comes up in the morning that lifting 20-30 pounds 97 times a day would ward off the saggy arms for a little while.  No such luck here.

What's next?

Wait.  I don't think I want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment